Tuesday, July 10, 2007

R.I.P. Jane


Jane magazine, the follow-up to Sassy a.k.a. "the greatest teen magazine of all time," has folded.

I stopped subscribing to Jane in early 2001, after discovering the much more Sassy-like Bust magazine.

But it was still my go-to purchase at the newstand in the train station and airport.

Jane's demise is a loss for young women who want more than just beauty ads and "how to please your man" articles from their magazine.

But like Jane, maybe we're a dying breed of the 1990s too ...

6 comments:

Ann Marie Woolsey said...

wow....
i had subscription to Sassy when i was like 15...
what's to become of our quirky Jane Pratt?

Kathleen Murray said...

Pratt is kicking back as the host of "Jane Says" on Sirius Satellite Radio.

She also reportedly admitted to having a lesbian relationship with Drew Barrymore back in 1997.

Kathleen Murray said...

Not a relationship, more like a tryst.

Ann Marie Woolsey said...

Christ. That's so 1997.
a tryst...i like that.

Ann Marie Woolsey said...

btw...i really enjoy your postings.
good stuff!

Alice said...

I didn't like Jane. The fact that the editor had to insert herself into EVERY STORY drove me crazy. It felt way too name-droppy for me.

Maybe I just didn't read enough issues.