Friday, September 21, 2007

Try the dumplings



As promised, I returned to Twisted Soul in Poughkeepsie Thursday to sample the food. I ordered the crab/corn/lemongrass dumplings.

The sous chef/counter help person, who was preparing a homemade waffle batter, asked me if I was staying -- yes, I was -- but he still ended up serving the dish in a to-go container. Maybe they don't do dishes there?

Anyway, the homemade dumplings were melt-in-your-mouth delicate and the fillings were very tasty. The dumplings were garnished with carrots, bean sprouts and scallions and served with two sauces. I preferred the sweet chili sauce to the spicy Sriracha sauce. My only complaint: because they were so delicate the dumplings disappeared in a flash. I wanted more for my $5.95.

At 1 p.m. Thursday, I was the only customer in Twisted Soul, which is a bit of a schlep from the Poughkeepsie Journal offices. While I was there, a young man came in and asked the sous chef if they sold beef patties. "No, but we have empanadas," he offered.

I asked the chef what he was doing with the waffle batter. He said the waffles would be served with a pork shoulder that had been braised for 24 hours in an apple compote. He was taking this interesting version of chicken and waffles to the Arlington Farmers Market. Apparently, Twisted Soul has a booth there every Thursday. Lucky Vassar kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although the location is problematic and the service usually slow, Twisted Soul's chef certainly knows his stuff. Everything I've had there, which includes the empenadas, dumplings and the soup, has been exceptional.

Frank said...

I've been to Twisted Soul a few times, and I was quite impressed by the concept and how inexpensive it was for the style of the food that you are getting. Everything is under $10. I have to say that although the location might not be the best, I think that the restaurant and the area defintely have potential.

Frank.

Anonymous said...

Having gotten takeout from Twisted Soul on a regular basis since August when I first noticed the storefront with that odd combination, “empanadas” and “dumplings” advertised in the window, I was pleased to see that you mentioned it twice in your blog. And that other people have liked it enough to take the time to add comments to your entries

Given the lack of customers there every time I stop in, I was beginning to think it was only me (and the 20 or so other people that I’ve had try the empanadas) that rated it as a great place for food. Which brings up the main point of this comment, which is to lobby people who have eaten at Twisted Soul to spread the word. That way I can be sure to continue to enjoy those empanadas.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!!! its TODAY!!!
Don't Forget, Friday November 9th, Tapas and Art Nite at Twisted Soul.
Reservations can be made at
845-705-5381 (limit of 30 people)
$20 per person(cash only)
Includes wine and tapas
Artist to provide wine!

Twisted Soul is Located at 442 Main Street, Poughkeepsie NY 12601