Friday, November 2, 2007

Celebren El Dia de Los Muertos hoy


Many of the mid-Hudson Valley's Mexican restaurants and bodega kitchens have decorated elaborate altars and feature special menus for the culmination of El Dia de Los Muertos.

For upscale Mexican, try Mexican Radio in Hudson, Santa Fe in Tivoli, La Puerta Azul in Millbroook or Armadillo in Kingston.

For more casual fare, head to La Cabanita or Mole Mole in Poughkeepsie, Tacocina Groceries and Mexican Food in Wappingers, La Mexicana Mexican Grocery in Red Hook, or El Danzante in Kingston.

Speaking of Day of the Dead the Elting Library in New Paltz is hosting a talk about the festival today at 5 p.m.

(Poughkeepsie Journal archive photo of La Puerta Azul by A. J. Soto)

4 comments:

Zirbel25 said...

I am glad that you mentioned La Cabanita. I work in Poughkeepsie and many of us go there for great food at a good price. Another one is Los Compadres (I think thats the name) and that is next to Enterprise Car Rental on Main Street. It is authentic Mexican and delicious! Neither place has a great ambiance but the food makes up for it!
Mexican food is my favorite and now in Rhinebeck we are lacking... since Desperados has closed and the Rhinebeck Grille has reopened under new management. I think they are making it more upscale now. I am going to miss summer nights in the back with a relaxed crowd. You will have to check it out and give a review!

Kathleen Murray said...

Thanks for the tip, Zirbel25.

I have to say I'm not sorry to see Desperados go. I visited twice and was underwhelmed.

I'll have to pay a visit to the new restaurant in the old Rhinebeck Grille space the next time I go to Upstate.

Kathleen Murray said...

By any chance, have any of you readers been to the fairly new, casual Mexican restaurant across the street from County Players in Wappingers Falls?

It looked adorable when I was doing a drive-by through the village on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

I am a huge Mexico fan and would like to experience "el Día de los Muertos" but becuase I am a public school teacher ( It each Spanish) I am not off to fly to Mexico. Somebody told me that there is a rather large community of Oaxeños (people from Oaxaca, Mexico) in Poughkeepsie and that they celebrate the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) just like they do in their own country? Does anybody know whether that is true? Is it worth driving up from New York City?