Monday, May 14, 2007

I'll share my cheap eats if you share yours ...






A favorite topic of every young and cash-strapped foodie is the best places to get cheap eats, those little hole-in-the-wall places that you only find out about by word of mouth.

Here are my top 5 Hudson Valley cheap eats:

1.) Andy’s Place, 45 Dutchess Ave., Poughkeepsie
Call 845-452-2525.

Four pierogies, a nod to my Polish heritage, are only $4.95. There’s also a kielbasa dinner w/pierogies for $11.95 and a kielbasa sandwich with sauerkraut on rye for $7.25.


2.) Jamaican Spice, 184 Main St., Beacon
Call 845-831-7505.
The next time you’re gallery hopping in Beacon, head to this little gem, which opened in 2005.
Turnovers filled with jerk fish, meatloaf, chicken and spicy beef are just $1.25-$1.50.
The restaurant also serves jerk pork, saltfish, curry chicken and ginger beer.


3.) El Danzante Mexican American (pictured), 720 Broadway, Kingston
Call 845-331-7070.
This kitschy, authentic Mexican restaurant features a white bar “cave” that displays dozens of tequilas.
Chicken enchiladas with mole sauce are savory and toothsome. Or put together a sampling of soft tacos. The best is carnitas — fried pork with Mexican herbs and spices — served with cilantro and onions for only $2.

4.) Kismat Indian Restaurant, 50 Raymond Ave., Poughkeepsie
Call 845-442-8536.
The best value for your foodie buck: Kismat serves an all-you-can buffet of Indian specialties for just $6.95 for lunch and $8.95 for dinner. Feel free to bring your own wine or beer.

5.) Lola’s CafĂ© and Gourmet Take Out, 131 Washington St., Poughkeepsie
Call 845-471-8555.
Chef Ed Kowalski elevates the lunchtime deli experience with high quality ingredients and flavor combinations. Try the tropical curried chicken wrap for $5.95 or the marinated Portobello mushroom panino for $6.95.

Please add to the list by posting below.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have the prices handy, but here are three dishes that I love, all in the City of Poughkeepsie. They're all pretty cheap and all very good. Now go eat!

1. Jerk chicken from Janet's Jerk Stop on Washington Street. Plus, I love Janet. You will too.

2. Gnocchi from Aloy's on Garden Street. It's homemade and delicious. The grandpa pizza is worth trying too.

3. Chicken enchiladas con mole from Mole Mole on Mt Carmel Place or Raymond Ave. Come to think of it, I ate just about everything on the menu, and loved it all.

Kathleen Murray said...

Hey Dan!

Janet's and Alloy's are new for me. Like you, I'm a huge Mole Mole fan too -- that black bean sauce is killer.

-- K

Unknown said...

Some places in New Paltz

New Paltz Indian Restaurant tasty and good portions for your dollar

Wrapsody Grill- Some really yummy wraps for 6 bucks

Yanni- Good cheep Falafel

The Bistro- the food is good and cheep but the place is pretty filthy

Karma Road- A nice Veggie option if you want to take out or eat in and be healthy but you just have to watch the weight of what you order because they price it by the pound and it can really add up.

Kathleen Murray said...

Karma Road in New Paltz is a new one for me. I found the Web site and it turns out that it is new -- just opened in February. The owners are alums of Angelika Kitchen, the vegan mecca in Manhattan.

Here's the link: http://www.karmaroad.net

Barbara GF said...

I'm with both you and Dan on Mole Mole, Kathleen. Their Enchiladas Zuisas with cheese are yummy! I also like Krishna Groceries on Route 9 in Poughkeepsie for their fab Indian take-out, and Zorona for their vegan lentil soup on Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie. Now I'm really getting hungry!

Little One said...

Soul Dog!

The spicy peanut sauce with cucumbers and scallions on a chicken dog... perfect small dinner for only about $3-4 with a drink...

I hear their mac and cheese is awesome too...

and for pizza, you can't beat Marco's on Raymond Ave. The whole wheat crust lets me pretend that i'm really doing something good for me....

Anonymous said...

I love Mole Mole for a quick dinner, too. But I have to support my favorite lunch spot: Market on Main has the freshest ingredients. I just had the best salad from their new salad bar for under four bucks. It was topped with small, pitted black olives (so good), chick peas, roasted red peppers, boiled egg and an Italian dressing that definitely tasted homemade. If you keep it simple (sandwiches, salads) you can get cheap stuff there.

Kathleen Murray said...

Need to try Krishna Groceries.

Love the fries at Soul Dog. Here's the link: http://souldog.biz

Market on Main is a favorite lunch place for me too. Everything is very fresh and high quality. A true Italian deli.

Anonymous said...

In Pok, I have to say Saigon Cafe for Vietnamese food is terrific and Tony is a very enthusiastic host. I love the crabmeat and asparagus soup and the happy pancake (which is more like an eggy crepe stuffed with veges and served with a peanut sauce).

Another fave in Pok for cheap eats is Tokyo Express which has a great deal on lunch boxes. For $7.50 you get Beef Teriyaki, 3pcs california roll, shumai, rice, miso soup and a salad! For $7 you can get two sushi rolls of your choice, miso soup and salad. Excellent deal for sushi and it tastes pretty good (especially the shumai).

Kathleen Murray said...

I can't believe I have worked at the PoJo for a year and a half and I still haven't eaten at Saigon Cafe or Tokyo Express. Must try. Thanks Anonymous.

Keep them coming everyone!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I enjoyed this thread and wanted to nominate a restaurant at 992 Main Street in Fishkill : Tanjore. I've enjoyed their lunch buffet many times. Besides great stews and vegetable dishes, they ply you with nan and tandoori chicken. They'll also give you a card that earns you a free lunch after you've bought four.
Bon appetit!
Regards, Tony

Kathleen Murray said...

Hey Tony,

Do you know how much the buffet costs? I love Indian food!

Cheers,
K

Anonymous said...

Kathleen (and other folks),
The weekday lunch buffet at Tanjore is 8.95. On Saturday brunch buffet costs 9.95 and Sunday brunch is 10.95. I've only been to the weekday buffet. We have to check them out on the weekends.
Regards,
Tony

Michael said...

1. Fres Co (tex mex, very much hole-in-the-wall and fantastic food). 1-3 College View Ave in Pok (that's right on the corner of College View and Raymond).

2. K&D Deli... espically for meats. There's a few around; I like the one at the base of West Cedar St (across from Marist).

Dan said...

I have to second Saigon Cafe (though I'd put it in the cheap not super cheap category) and second suizas and second Soul Dog and second Krishna grocery. There is probably no cheaper better take away for lunch than Krishna.

Post more Kingston-area cheap eats, please!

Joanna said...

I'd add Max's in Red Hook, which is amazing (definitely better than most bbq places in the city). Even the collards are great.