Thursday, May 24, 2007

Cheap eats, part II



Thanks everyone for sharing your Hudson Valley cheap eats with me.

Here are just a few of the recommendations:

In Poughkeepsie, Janet's Jerk Stop on Washington Avenue, Krishna Groceries on Route 9, Soul Dog on Main Street and Saigon Cafe on LaGrange Avenue (pictured).

In Fishkill, Tanjore buffet on Main Street.

And in New Paltz, Yanni and Karma Road.

Dan asked for some more Kingston-area cheap eats and I've got a great one for those of you heading to the opening of the Old Town Stockade Farmers Market on Saturday: Gabriel's Cafe on John Street.

The owner of this lovely little place uses local, organic ingredients whenever possible and makes his own hearty bread and pastries. The egg sandwich ($4.75) comes with a garlicky homemade salsa. Amazing. The coffee is strong and locally roasted from Catskill Mountain Coffee. There are also Colombian specialties for lunch, a nod to Gabriel's heritage.

Now I have a cheap eats dilemma for you readers. I am heading up to Rhinebeck tonight to see "Waitress" at Upstate Films. Are there any cheap eats among the $30/entree restaurants? And if not, are there any diners in the area that you'd recommend? A (not too) greasy spoon would fit the movie.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Thanks for the Kingston tip. I plan on frequenting the farmers market, so I'll be sure to check it out.

As for cheap eats in Rhinebeck, I'll be no help to you. There is a greasy spoon on Market (I think that's what it's called - the main cross street) that where I've nibbled. I don't remember it being special, but I don't remember it being costly either.

Alice said...

In Rhinebeck, there's a bagel shop if you're heading north and take a left onto Route 308 toward Rhinecliff. Can't think of the name (I think it's probably as simple as Rhinebeck Cafe or Rhinebeck Bagels), and they have good sandwiches for cheap. Probably the cheapest place you can find in Rhinebeck.

When I worked up there, my favorite was the Martha Stewart: turkey, cream cheese and cranberry sauce. Yum!

Joanna said...

This is way late, but there are definitely less expensive places in Rhinebeck. First, there's a new, great Thai place. I'm blanking on the name, but it's just a few doors down from Face/Stockholm. There's also the bistro part of Terrapin (go to the left when you walk in) and though it has a sort of 80s look to it, Gigi's, just across from Upstate Films, doesn't have to be expensive (if you just order pasta) and is pretty delicious. I've also heard Sabroso is good.