Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Daring to get a haircut in the valley

I have found great Hudson Valley alternatives to New York City dining, drinking and shopping. But the one NYC creature comfort I have refused to give up is my haircut.

Too many Hudson Valley, ahem, "stylists" are still sporting the big bangs and frizz perms of their high school days. How can you trust someone who hasn't updated their own look in 20 years? (I acknowledge that the asymmetrical cuts of the 1980s have seemed to make a comeback, but that's not what I'm talking about.)

For many years I have been a loyal client of Beehive in Brooklyn. They were booked my last trip down there so I got a last-minute cut at the very excellent Commune, a Japanese salon. (Their work created the look in my blog sig at left.)

But I think I'm finally ready to take a leap of faith and get a cut here at one of two very promising salons:

The first, Salon Arje in Beacon, specializes in "trend cuts." It invites clients to "let the artist within us bring out the beauty within you." A glass of wine is provided.

The second, Le Shag in Kingston, specializes in "new trend hair coloring and cuts. In addition to this, Le Shag offers make up classes, and Mimosa Morning Saturdays with pedicures and manicures."

Have you been to either of these places? Are there other Hudson Valley salons that you trust to your precious tresses? Comment below.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Only place I trust with my tresses is T&T in Pawling. I'm super finicky with my hair but I'm always amazingly satisfied after Tracy has taken her scissors to me.

After my parents move to Galatin and I take up full time residence in New Paltz, I think I'm going to have to commute there just for the upkeep.

Kathleen Murray said...

Hey Shannon,

Thanks for the tip on T&T. I wonder if there are any good places in New Paltz ...

Kathleen Murray said...

Apparently it's called T n T ...

Unknown said...

As far as NP is concerned, a lot of my friends rave about Radiance. I've never been personally but I've heard enough glowing reviews. I'm too much of a fan of Tracy at T n T to switch things up.

Alice said...

I go to Paige at Collage Cut and Colour in Poughkeepsie. It's in a house off the arterial near where 44/55 split. I LOVE them there.

I am very picky about my hair and I'm always happy with the work they do.

Little One said...

hey kathleen
my roommate and i are both transplants to the valley and both always got our haircut when we travelled back home. but she found "bella luci" in dooley square, and its actually great. although our favorite stylist, kenny, left a while ago, tracy has been a fantastic alternative.

Anonymous said...

My wife is a transplant from southern California and she also loves Bella Luci.

Anonymous said...

I am a Beacon resident who has gone back to NYC for a cut the 5 years I've been here. I am loyal Armando Corral Salon customer, but it's pricey and a whole day, something I cannot do at the moment. I DO NOT recommend Arje, as it is really a dressed up traditional Hudson Valley salon. I've seen an occasional decent cut, but just as many ho hum to bad.
My friend got her hair cut by Jennifer at Le Shag and it looks so killer that I decided to take the plunge and am hauling my ass up there today.
The newest addition to Beacon is Moxie and I have seen some nice cuts and color from the owner. Promising, but I am trying Le Shag first.

Unknown said...

HI ITS SEVERAL YEARS LATER JUST SAW THIS.KARA AT LESHAG IS AWAOME,SHE CUTS MY HAIR PLUS SHES ALSO AN AWSOME PAINTING ARTIST SOME OF HER CUTS ON INSTAGRAM STROLL DOWN.

Unknown said...

HI ITS SEVERAL YEARS LATER JUST SAW THIS.KARA AT LESHAG IS AWAOME,SHE CUTS MY HAIR PLUS SHES ALSO AN AWSOME PAINTING ARTIST SOME OF HER CUTS ON INSTAGRAM STROLL DOWN.