Friday, April 6, 2007

On the quest for 'cue in the HV

Doing the jaunt up and down I-95 this week, I've been able to sample some delicious barbecue, one of America's greatest culinary gifts to the world. Around these parts North Carolina style, distinguished by pork with a vinegar-based sauce, is king.

But my favorite style is Memphis, which in the last 10 years has been embraced by New Yorkers with a fervor.
But you don't even have to travel as far south as New York City, home of Blue Smoke, Daisy May's BBQ and Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, to get some amazing 'cue.

I can't get enough of the pulled pork platter at Hickory Barbecue and Smokehouse, located on Route 28 between Kingston and Woodstock.

I'm also a fan of Max's Memphis BBQ in Red Hook.

Still on my list to sample: Biggy's BBQ Bistro in New Paltz, Rob VanVoorhis' roadside stand on Route 55 in Beekman and that kiosk that recently popped up on Main Street in Poughkeepsie.

Have you been to any of these local barbecue haunts? Which ones are missing from my list? Comment below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're willing to trek a little further past All Smoked up, there's the excellent Big W's: http://www.bigwsbbq.com/

Unknown said...

After having lived down south for several years, I'd acquired a huge hankering for bbq. Before it closed in NYC, Tennessee Mountain was good, but having moved to the valley, I was left in need. I tried Jackelope, which was hands down the worst q i've ever had (used to be umami cafe on rt9 in fishkill). But for good stuff, i'll gladly go to barnstormers bbq in newburgh.

I havent tried O&M in pok, but will let you know once I do.