Friday, April 13, 2007

DIY flowers for DIY brides




The do-it-yourself lifestyle has made its way into wedding planning. Crafty brides with individual senses of style are baking cakes, designing and making dresses and turning iPods into deejays.

A DIY wedding is cost effective, plus it gives brides the freedom to express themselves.

Stems, a Red Hook-based floral designer, which has c.o.u.t.u.r.e. ($5,000 and up) and ready 2 wear ($3,500 average) packages, also offers Stems d.i.y.

"This service (d.i.y.) isn't just about saving money, but is a great option for a specific bride with a hands-on approach to design, and who may have seen floral designs in magazines, but don't know where to purchase the products they need," Stems says on its Web site.

A d•i•y bride will receive a "recipe card," which includes how to care for the flowers she buys from Stems, the breakdown of floral elements and other ingredients, and how to put pieces together.

The monochromatic mumballs (see photo) are an eye-catching option.

Brides and their friends and family may also schedule a workshop for an in-studio lesson for the specific designs in the wedding.

Are you a DIY bride? Comment below or write me at kmurray@poughkeepsiejournal.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a DIY bride. I'm doing pretty much everything for my wedding except sewing my dress and cooking the food. Some people are very postive towards my craftiness. However the one thing that everyone discourages me about is DIY flowers. I really want to do this because it will save me money and I just want the sense of accomplishment.