Thursday, August 9, 2007

Where do you sushi?


My weekends are spent gathering ingredients at the farmers' market and Fleisher's meats for elaborate home-cooked dinners. I enjoy cooking ... when I have lots of time.

But during the week I'm all about the joys of take-out.

Every Tuesday as I'm leaving the Poughkeepsie Journal offices, I make a call to my neighborhood sushi joint, Kyoto. My usual: spicy tuna rolls.

I also have had memorable meals at Hokkaido in New Paltz (super fresh, but expect to wait a while), Edo Sushi in Hyde Park and Osaka in Rhinebeck.

So where do you go when you need your sushi fix? Any places you steer clear away from?

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I know it's owned by the same people, but for some reason I prefer the Osaka in Tivoli, which is a great eating place, in general.

Kathleen Murray said...

Hey Joanna,

I have never hit Osaka's Tivoli outpost. Santa Fe always ends up luring me in instead.

Have you been to Luna since it moved to Tivoli? It's such a perfect brunch place now.

Anonymous said...

There are two places around here I often go for sushi. The first is Tokyo Express on LaGrange Avenue, off Raymond Avenue in Arlington. I've been going there for a long time and many times they bring something out for me to try on the house. Great combination rolls.

The second place I go to is Sushi Ya in the plaza with the Shop Rite off Route 9 in Fishkill, opposite Fishkill Elementary School. Fresh and delicious.

I have to say the sushi place I avoid is Neko Sushi, both the one in Wappinger and the one in New Paltz. Some people rave about Neko but I find their sushi has no flavor whatsoever.